Type Approval is defined as the process by which an RTTE is certified by the NCA to be used in Somalia. It involves verification of anRTTE to make sure itcomplies with the applicableinternationalstandards and essential requirements.
For more Information Click Here.
EQUIPMENT THAT REQUIRE TYPE APPROVAL
Any Telecommunications apparatus that is either radio equipment or telecommunications terminal equipment, or both (such as a mobile phone handset) which connects directly to a Public Telecommunications Network and / or which is an intentional transmitter of radio waves is subject to type approval by the NCA. Such equipment is referred to collectively as Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (RTTE).
Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment that require Type Approval include (but are not limited to):
- Terminal Equipment
- Mobile handsets, Tablets, PDAs, Telephone sets, IP Phones, Mobile Dongles, etc
- Short Range Radio Devices
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC Readers, RFID, etc
- Radio Transceivers
- Broadcast Equipment, Satellite Equipment, Base Stations,etc.
- Network Equipment
- BSCs, MSCs, PSTN Switches, Media gateways, Servers, Switches, Routers, Modems, PBX, tracking devices, etc.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR TYPE APPROVAL
Type Approval can be requested by:
- Authorized Importers (Authorized Importeris entity in Somalia that is authorized by the Ministry of Commerce to importRTTE to Somalia for marketing/commercial purposes inline with the Applicable RegulatoryFramework).
- Licensed Operators (Licensed Operator is a Somali company or establishment located in Somalia that is licensed by NCAto own, establish or operate atelecommunications network).
- Local and International Manufacturers.
- Public/private organizations in Somalia wishing to import RTTE for their own
use (i.e. not for marketing/commercial purposes).
TYPE APPROVAL FEES
- USD 350 for all applicant
Payment of fees should be made by cash or bank transfer upon receipt of the invoice from the NCA.
TYPE APPROVAL PROCEDURE
Type Approval applicants are required to adhere the following procedures:
- An Application for Type Approval must be completed using the application form. Download the application form here.
- NCA only processes applications of RTTEs which has already obtained Type Approval Certificate from a National Regulatory Authority (NRA) recognized by NCA showing that the RTTE complies with the required technical standards.
- National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) that are recognized by NCA are listedin Appendix B in the guidelines and will be regularly updated and published on NCA website.
- If an applicant wants to apply Type Approval for different types of equipment. A separate application form must be completed, signed and stamped by the applicantfor each type of equipment. Applications must be submitted via email (email@example.com ).
- Each application for Type Approval must be accompanied by the following supporting documents:
- Technical documentation of the RTTE (including details of transmission parameters, operating media, interface specifications, fulfilment of service technology requirements, etc).
- A duly signed, stamped and dated Type Approval Certificate confirming that the RTTE complies with the suitable standards, issued by a National Regulatory Authority (NRA) recognized by NCA.
- Proof of payment for the Type Approval application fee.
- No application for Type Approval will be processed unless all requiredsupporting documents are submitted to NCA. This may include the submission ofany other additionalinformation that is considered necessary by NCA for thepurpose of Type Approval.
- An application that is complete willbe processed withinthirty (30) calendar days of itsreceipt by NCA.
- If the outcome of the assessment is successful, NCA type approves the RTTE and issues Type Approval Letter to the applicant.
- NCA reserves the right to reject Type Approval application in the case where NCA isnot satisfied in regard to any feature of the application. The Applicant may rectify the issue and submit a new application for Type Approval.